A year ago, I put together a list of some of my favorite things. I call it my joy list. It reminds me to focus on the simple things that bring me joy, and helps me to be intentional about including them in my life on a daily basis.
When I’m feeling stressed, anxious or overwhelmed, it’s more often that not because I haven’t indulged in enough of my favorite things, and I’m running on an empty tank. I’m an introvert, so I restore myself by being alone. If I don’t make space to regroup, relax, and exhale deeply, I’m not much fun to be around.
But even when I don’t have the opportunity to get away or spend much time alone, there’s something powerful about stopping for a second to acknowledge the joy in an everyday moment. Breathing in deeply, recognizing the beauty of what’s before me, and savoring the happiness it brings is invigorating for my soul.
Here’s my joy list:
- Quiet time with God
- Playing with my boys or just watching them play
- Date nights with my husband
- Bonding time with my girlfriends
- Walks or hikes in nature
- Listening to birds sing
- A steaming hot bath
- Thai Food
- Spa retreats
- The smell of rain
- Road trips with my family
- Visiting new cities and trying new restaurants
- Cuddling in bed with my boys at night and reading to them
- Anything eucalyptus-peppermint scented
- Walks on the beach on a misty early morning
- Chai Tea
- Purple Tulips
What makes you happy? Create your own joy list, post it up somewhere you can see it everyday, and indulge in joyful moments.